Monday, May 19, 2014

Giving gluten free a shot

Oh look, my semester of grad school is over and I have time to blog again.  YAY!!!

I've been thinking about going gluten free for about 4 months or so.  Never actually seriously thought about it, but every now and then following a gluten free or paleo diet comes up and I think about it.  Tom and I have talked about it a few times in passing but never seriously.

Three weeks ago I went to the doctors bc my blood pressure was OUT. OF. CONTROL.  I'm talking 150/100.  Yikes.  So now I'm on medication.  Let me start by saying that I am not someone who is anti medication.  If the medicine is going to make me better, then I am all for it.  However, I tracked my sodium intake for the first week I was on the medicine just to see how close to the recommended 2000 mg a day I was.  I averaged between 2000 and 3000 mg a day.  On a day where even one meal came from a restaurant.... we're talking 4000 or 5000 mg!!!!  It is insane the sodium in a flour tortilla from Chipotle.  Anyway, I'm getting side tracked.  I was noticing while I tracked sodium that bread seems to be the biggest culprit in my diet for sodium.  I normally have a slice of bread with peanut butter for breakfast and then a sandwich for lunch.  Even with the homemade bread I eat, there is 300 mg in one slice.  My bread consumption alone is 900 mg of sodium a day!!!!  That's insane.  So this is when I started to think more seriously about being gluten free.

I have a co worker who is allergic to gluten so I've been talking to her about it too.  We had a staff breakfast two weeks ago so I decided to try gluten free baking and made muffins:

http://www.spartan.com/food-of-the-day/recipe-of-the-day/lemon-strawberry-muffins/

 

 
The batter was so stiff and not at all like normal muffin batter.  I figured that it was just a product of all the weird ingredients so I baked them anyway.


 
They didn't rise!  Like at all.  They were these hard, tasteless muffins. :(  I still had half the batter left so I emailed the author of the recipe and asked for help.  She suggested adding more coconut milk or egg.  I added both.  I also decided to go to the store and get more vanilla extract.
 
While I was at the store... I found out that Aldi now carries gluten free products!!!  I got all of this (granola, crackers, mac and cheese, pizza crust mix, baking mix, chocolate chip cookie mix) for only $22.  Take that whole foods!
 
 
Anyway... the second round of muffins turned out better.  The taste was still a little weird but I guess that's to be expected when you bake with quinoa flour.
 
In the last few days I've been experimenting with other gluten free stuff.  I'm sticking to mixes from a box for now so that I don't have as much to try and get right.
 
 Sunday morning I used this baking mix to make waffles. They were delicious!

     


Sunday night I made gluten free pizza dough (again, from a box).  I spread the edges of the pizza a little too thin and it burned but other than that it was yummy.  The sodium is still really high in this mix so I need to find a better option, but for now it was great.

Tonight for dinner I had gluten free brown rice pasta with sauce, peppers, onions, spinach and meatballs.  The meatballs are not gluten free because I have frozen meatballs to use up.  But the brown rice pasta was good!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment