Monday, June 23, 2014

Meal prep, then some more meal prep

This post is going to be picture heavy.  I've been doing lots of cooking. The key to being successful with Whole30 has certainly been spending about half the day on Sunday doing meal prep for the week.  Chopping veggies, hard boiling eggs, prepping dinners, packing fruit in containers.  There is so much to do!  I spent about 2 hours on a week night later in the week getting things ready for the end of week/ weekend too. Whole30 has also required that I go to Aldi for cheap produce and meat, then Giant for the things I can't get at Aldi, then Whole Foods for sausage (with no sugar added), salad dressing (with no sugar added) and clarified butter. 

Anyway... here's what I've been eating.



Making this breakfast casserole has been a huge help!  Then I don't have to cook eggs every morning.  I just mix up 10 eggs, some sausage and veggies and bake for 30 minutes at 350.  I cut it into pieces and put into Tupperware on Sunday and then I have breakfast for the week already packaged up!

 
Yumm.  Lots of berries and lots of Tupperware.  I used the berries as an afternoon snack.
 
Here is everything laid out for an afternoon of meal prepping: deviled eggs, spaghetti sauce with spaghetti squash, paleo pad thai, turkey roll ups with cucumber.

 

Hard boiled eggs!  Yumm.  I found out about a week later that the mayo I was using is not Whole30 approved (I didn't realize canola oil was not allowed).  I'll have to make my own mayo next time.

Turkey roll ups.  Cucumber, turkey, guacamole, red peppers.  They were good, but probably would have been better right away instead of the next day for lunch.  The cucumber got kind of mushy overnight.
 
Spaghetti sauce with ground turkey, tomato paste, water, spinach, and garlic.  I served this over spaghetti squash.  Really yummy.
 
 
To make spaghetti squash: Cut in half.  Put in crockpot with 1 inch of water at the bottom.  Cook on high for 2 and a half hours.  Then scoop out the seeds and use a fork to scrape the sides to make the "spaghetti."
 
 
Almond flour chicken tenders.  I made these and served them on a big salad.
 
 
 
 
The Paleo Pad Thai was served on the other half of the spaghetti squash.  This was seriously so good.  SO. GOOD. As I was eating it, I couldn't wait to have the leftovers.  It was delicious.


Some other things I've made in the past couple weeks:

 
Fried bananas with almond butter on top with a fried egg for breakfast. Yummmm.


 
Another morning I was really craving green beans so I had them with scrambled eggs and sausage.  The Hartwigs say that you should think of your meals as Meal 1, Meal 2 and Meal 3 instead of breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I guess this is a start in that direction.  Green beans for breakfast. 

 
Another morning I made kale chips as I was making breakfast and ended up eating half the tray with my eggs.  Toss the kale with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Lay them out on a cookie sheet and cook at 350 for about 10 minutes. The second time I made them I took the leaves off the stalk and they cooked more evenly.

 

 
Crushed peppercorn steak and mashed cauliflower.  I also had a salad with this meal.  My friends Justin and Susan did all the cooking and I just had to enjoy the delicious food.  I hadn't have a steak in over 10 years.  It was well worth the wait.
 
 
 


My current obsession is sweet potato fries.  I made them last week and again today.  Peel the sweet potato and cut up.  Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for about 25 minutes.  Halfway through, use a spatula to flip the fries.  I didn't do that the first time I made them and the bottom was burnt.  They were still delicious though.  To reheat, use a toaster over or oven so that they get crispy again.




 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment