Sunday, June 1, 2014

Week 1... feeling good but I want pizza

Wednesday- Friday were SO. MUCH. BETTER. with the almond milk/coconut cream mixture so that I could have coffee.  I think I can probably continue using this stuff after the Whole 30 is over too.  It's not the same, but I like it.

Wednesday I had a doctor's appointment so I wasn't at school for lunch.  I made a salad with grilled chicken, hard boiled egg and lots of veggies.  I packed one up for dinner on Thursday too.  I have  a kayaking class on Thursday's and we usually go out to eat afterwards, but I knew I probably wouldn't be able to eat anything at Five Guys...



I took advantage of the day off and did a whole lot of food prep.  I was responsible for lunch Thursday and Friday.  I made turkey burgers (ground turkey, almond flour, egg, salt, pepper) with grilled zucchini "buns" and a cucumber salad with olive oil, salt and pepper.  We had this for dinner on Wednesday and I brought it for lunch on Friday.  It was REALLY good. 


 
I also made shredded chicken in the crock pot with hot sauce, lime juice and garlic.  I served that for lunch on Thursday with mashed cauliflower.  I steamed the cauliflower, put it in the food processor and then added a little bit of olive oil and salt.  This meal was delicious!  Like really, really delicious.  I also brought peppers and celery with this dairy free ranch dip.
 

I made the dip again today it was so good!

Friday night we had leftovers for dinner.  Saturday I made eggs for breakfast and had two leftover turkey burger sliders with slices of avocado on top for lunch.  I worked at the winery last night (I work at Boordy on the weekends for the summer).  I was really nervous about this.  Not only do we get offered wine after our shift, but there is usually bread and cheese out for us to snack on.  I decided to combat this by making sure I had lots packed.  I brought a hard boiled egg, two apples, cashews and grapes and strawberries.  I did pretty good.  I wasn't even tempted when our manager brought out cupcakes for everyone (and these were from a cupcake shop... not grocery store bought ones).

Today my family came over for our monthly family game night.  I made the ranch dip with veggies, salsa and guacamole.  I had chips out but I used the veggies for the guacamole.  I didn't have any salsa because it came from a jar and had cane sugar in it.  I don't like salsa anyway, so it was one less thing I had to make this morning.  For lunch, we had chicken and steak fajitas with peppers and onions.  We used salt, pepper and cumin on the meat and veggies.  I had mine on a lettuce leaves.  I drizzled some of the ranch dip on top in the absence of sour cream/ cheese. 



 
 Oh man, I wanted cheese on top.  Really bad.  Since day one, this was probably the first time I really felt like I was missing out.  Even when the girl scout cookies went on the table for dessert I was ok not eating them.  But the freaking cheese, I wanted it.  My aunt and uncle brought fresh fruit salad for dessert too.  It was delicious.
 
Now everyone is gone and I want pizza.  Not dominos or papa johns.  I'm crazing pizza on the grill.  If you've never done this look back through my posts because there is a whole post on grilled pizza from last summer.  Its amazing.  I found a recipe for Paleo pizza that uses almond flour and just puts sauce and toppings (I'll probably do chicken and veggies) with no cheese.  But I feel like it might be cheating a little bit.  We have a support group for the Whole 30 on facebook so I'm waiting to hear back from someone else to see what they think. 
 
 
All in all, I feel really good.  It feels good to know that I can stare at girl scout cookies and not eat one (or ten).  It feels good to know I can be around people drinking and feel comfortable not drinking.  It also feels really good knowing that I'm only putting healthy foods in my body. 
 
BUT....
 
I am getting bored of water.  I might try making infused water but it seems like a waste of fruits and veggies to me.  I'm in the process of sun brewing green tea on the porch.  Hopefully that will be yummy.
 
It's also exhausting to do all this cooking!  I got up at 8 this morning.  Made breakfast, went to the grocery store and then spent 2 hours chopping and mixing things for today.  Now that everyone is gone I don't want to have to go through all the labor to make dinner as well.  :(   I may browse some local take out menus and see if there is anything other than a salad I can get (I refuse to pay for a salad when all the ingredients are in my fridge).  I am craving sushi really bad.  I might see if I can order it from some place without rice.  But I don't have a soy sauce substitute so I'm not sure how good it will be...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment