Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Well my intentions were good....

Let's start with yesterday... I had planned on Chipolte for dinner, but when I got there with my neighbor, the line was literally out the door.  My need for a burrito is not that serious.  Instead, we went next door to famous footwear... but I digress.  So we get home and my neighbor offers me some baked chicken she made earlier.  I ran home to get my dogs, and when I got to her house she had a gorgeous salad prepared.



Grilled chicken with a rub, carrots, onions, apple crisps, almonds, cheese, honey balsamic dressing.  All I can say is yummm. 
Other than the Ritz crackers I ate with my salad, it was an unprocessed meal.  I even skipped on the Rita's I knew she had in the freezer.  Go me!

Now lets talk about today.... I was supposed to go to happy hour at Gordon Biersch with some lovely ladies from my grad school classes.  I ended up bailing (even though I was looking forward to their company, as well as chicken and shrimp pot stickers) because it was sunny out and my grass desperately needs to get cut.  Halfway home... the skies opened up and it started to pour.  So much for cutting the grass.  Meanwhile, in the car I had run over a tire that was in the middle of 95 North,d and its stuck under my car.  I had to pull to the shoulder to back up and get it unstuck.  Ugh.  So amid all of this nonsense, I decide I wanted Chinese food for dinner.  Then, I decided that I should make my own.  I made a trip to Aldi for some chicken and found a 25 minute sesame chicken recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sesame-chicken-44321
Ingredients:
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pat dry with paper towels
  • 1/2 cuphoney
  • 1/2 cupsoy sauce
  • 1 cupwater
  • 2 tablespoonscornstarch
  • 1/2-1 teaspoonground ginger (fresh is better)
  • 1/2-1 teaspoonred pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 tablespoontoasted sesame seeds
  •  

    Directions:

    1. Cut chicken breast into 1 inch strips or bite size pieces.
    2. Heat a large non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with Pam, over medium-high heat.
    3. Cook chicken for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink.
    4. Mix together honey, soy sauce, water, corn starch, ginger and red pepper flakes.
    5. Whisk until no corn starch lumps appear.
    6. Pour sauce mixture into skillet with chicken.
    7. Cook until sauce thickens slightly.
    8. You can add more water if sauce is too thick.
    9. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
    10. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken starts to soak up the sauce.
     
    Sounds delicious.  So I got started. 
     
    I cooked brown rice to go with the chicken and also got some hard boiled eggs going so that I have some afternoon snacks for the rest of the week.  Eggs done.  Rice done.  Chicken smelling delicious. 
     
    AND THEN.....
     
    Broken vanilla extract bottle!!!!  Glass all over the kitchen.  Luckily all the things I was cooking were covered.  However, UNLUCKILY, the wooden spatula I was using was out and I totally forgot to wash it before I stirred the chicken.  SOOOOOO..... into the trash went all the hard work I had spent the last hour doing. 
     
    And I cried... and cried... and called my mom... and cried.  Ugh.  Some of the crying might be because I'm on fertility drugs but a lot of it was because I was really looking forward to the sesame chicken. 
     
    So instead I had leftover ground turkey with taco seasoning and Doritos.  Yes I know, Doritos are not unprocessed but desperate times call for desperate measures.
     
    Typing this blog post has been pretty theraputic... however, I will warn you that if anyone asks me how my sesame chicken turned out I might punch them in the face (not really but I might cry). 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment