Friday, June 21, 2013

Lots of food

Soooooo I've been pretty terrible about blogging recently.  But school is out and it is officially summer, so I should be much more productive now (in theory at least).  The end of the year brought on A LOT of stress and cupcakes and crappy food.  But instead of focusing on that... here's some of the delicious unprocessed food I've had recently:

 
 
 
I took another crack at homemade potato chips today.... we bought a mandolin after our last potato chip making adventure but then never tried again.  It worked ok, but I still think the potato slices were too thick.  We bought the cheapest mandolin bed bath and beyond had to offer so it is not adjustable.  Next time, I'm going to try using my food processor to slice the potatoes and see if that makes them any thinner.  Here is the recipe I used:
For the last 5 minutes they were supposed to bake (after you flipped them) I let them go for about 10-15 minutes since the potatoes were thicker.  I also added garlic and parmesan before putting them back in the over for the final bake time.  They turned out pretty good.  I think they would have been perfect if they were thinner. I'll try again next week. 
 
 
 
This was breakfast this morning.  A student gave me jam she made (strawberry and rose petals).  I had that on Italian herb bread.  It was DELICIOUS. 
 
 
 A few weeks ago we had a taco casarole for dinner.  I can't figure out how to get the recipe off my facebook page.  Let's see if this link works:
 
Basically the casserole is crushed up Doritos on the bottom, then 1 lb. of ground turkey that is cooked in taco seasoning, then 8 oz cheddar cheese and 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded and shredded lettuce on top (there is also supposed to be tomatoes but I think tomatoes are gross).  I know Doritos are not unprocessed but give me a break... they are delicious.
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
The casserole turned out ok.  I would definitely do it again, but I would cut way down on the Doritos and the cheese.  The original recipe calls for 7 oz of Doritos I think.  I could def have been cut in half.  Same with the cheese. 
 
 
 
After we tried cauliflower pizza twice with no success I was excited to see this recipe. 
 
 
The crust turned out MUCH better than our cauliflower pizza dough but we definitely should have let it bake a little longer before adding toppings.  We were able to pick it up and eat it like pizza but it was not as firm as I would have liked.  Another problem could have been that the recipe called for full fat cream cheese but I only had one package of regular and I wanted to double the recipe, so I substituted low fat cream cheese.  It was really delicious though.  
 
 
 
 
Oreo's?  How did they make it into a blog post about unprocessed food.... because they are delicious, that's how.  Sometimes you just need an Oreo.  But then when I'm feeling like a healthier cookie I have this:
 

 
these are the cookies I blogged about a few posts ago, with organic hot chocolate from Whole Foods.  Yummm.   

No comments:

Post a Comment