Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cookies

Since we've made the switch to unprocessed I've been searching for an unprocessed cookie recipe.  It turns out, not too many of those exist.  I tried oatmeal raisin cookies with honey instead of sugar a while ago (should probably try that again now that I've discovered Stevia).  Once I found out about substituting molasses for brown sugar baking possibilities opened up a little, but I was still not thrilled about the taste of the cookies. 

A huge downfall in the beginning was not using chocolate chips.  Eventually, I scoured the shelves of Whole Foods until I found a brand (Sunspire) that is made with cane sugar instead of just saying "sugar" on the label.  I made cookies a while ago with these and they turned out pretty good.  I went back to Whole Foods to get more chocolate chips for this cookie adventure.... except I accidentally got Carob chips instead.  Same brand and same label.  UGH!  I made chocolate chip pancakes with them one morning and put a handful in my mouth to eat as I was cooking the pancakes (obviously) and it was pretty gross.  I shouldn't say gross... carob chips aren't bad... but when you're expecting dark chocolate and you get that, you won't be thrilled.

Anyway.... lots of side notes to tell you that I decided to try the good old fashioned Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I made a few substitutions and cut the recipe in half.  Here is the actual recipe I used:

1 1/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter (softened)
3/4 cup Stevia in the raw
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup carob chips (I highly recommend chocolate chips instead)

I followed the Nestle recipe to actually mix the ingredients:
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTL%C3%89-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
 
They turned out pretty good.  Definitely did not taste like Nestle.... but they were good.  I took them to my friend Katie's house for a dinner date and she like them too!  She suggested trying some other types of flour (rice, oat, etc).  Next weekend I may have to experiment a little more... the search for the perfect unprocessed cookie continues. 

PS... no pictures on this post because apparently I was being a slacker.  I went into my phone gallery to upload pictures to this post and realized I don't have any :(

No comments:

Post a Comment