Monday, January 28, 2013

Half and half, groceries, and ice cream

I happened to be in Philly this weekend with a wonderful bunch of ladies, one of whom eats mostly unprocessed as well.  And we both love coffee.  I was complaining about my almond milk making failures and how I can’t find anything to put in my coffee that doesn’t have sugar.  My friend looks at me and says “What about half and half?”  Seriously.  I’m a pretty intelligent person and I had not thought to look for a natural half and half before making my own almond milk? 

I got home from Philly on Sunday and Tom and I went grocery shopping.  Sure enough Nature’s Promise (a brand that Giant sells) makes an organic half and half that only has 2 ingredients, cream and milk.  I’m drinking my coffee as I type this and it tastes amazing (plus no chunks of almonds at the bottom of my coffee).

While I’m on the topic of the grocery store… it is really misleading to see how many products have the phrase “all natural” on the box AND ARE NOT ACTUALLY ALL NATURAL.  We started picking up random things as we were walking around and everything that claimed to be “all natural” had sugar in it or a preservative stuck in at the end of the ingredients list.  What a rip off.

Before finishing up our shopping I wanted to look for natural ice cream.  Tom laughed (rightfully so) and told me I was not going to find anything.  Even so I wanted to look.  We spent about 20 minutes in the ice cream isle reading every brand on ice cream.  Nada.  Giant does not sell an ice cream that has no sugar in it.  And if they say “no sugar” it’s only because they have splenda.  I need an ice cream company to make an ice cream with stevia… please!!!!!  After the repeated let downs I finally decided that I was eating ice cream no matter what and we bought a pint of ben and jerry’s.  Woops.

1 comment:

  1. ice cream with stevia? what a great idea. market it! acutally, if you freeze bananas you can throw them in your vitamix and make "ice cream". add in some cocoa powder and your in business! ~J

    ReplyDelete