Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza

Thanks to my friend Laurel we have a delicious, unprocessed, healthy way to eat pizza.  Take that domino's!  That being said.... we kind of messed it up on the first try.  But I already can’t wait to try this recipe again.  We did not spread the dough thin enough on the cookie sheet so we ended up cooking it for about 40 minutes before adding toppings.  When it was finished… only the edges were crispy… the middle of the pizza was cauliflower mush.  The flavor was amazing but the consistency kind of freaked me out.  I think we’re going to try again one day this week since we have another head of cauliflower in the fridge.  Stay tuned.

1 head of cauliflower
1/3 cup egg whites
2 cups shredded fat free cheese
2 tbsp reduced fat parmesan (optional)
1 tbsp dried italian seasoning

1. Cut the cauliflower off the stalk and into smaller pieces.
2. Place everything in a food processor and process until really fine. (if you don't have a food processor, grate the cauliflower on a grater and mix with the rest of the ingredients- doesn't make it as fine of a texture but still works pretty well).
3. Spray/coat a baking sheet with oil and push the cauliflower mixture onto the pan.
4. Bake at 350 until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Top with marinara sauce and any other pizza toppings you'd like.
6. Bake again until done.

The whole crust is 600 cals/4g fat/48g carbs/97g protein/14g fiber
and if cut into 8 slices, each is about: 75 cals/0.5g fat/6g carbs/2g fiber/12g pro
compared to 1/8 of a regular pizza crust: 135 cals/2g fat/24g carbs/1g fiber/4g pro



1 comment:

  1. Thats awesome! I'm so glad you guys tried it, I'm sorry it didn't work on the first try tho. I experimented with the recipe a bit this weekend and have these tips:

    1. Process the cauliflower and egg whites together as before, but just stir in the cheese instead of processing it. This makes it much sturdier for some reason.

    2. Spread it out super super thin, you will probably have leftovers since it doesn't fit on one pizza pan (yet, I'll try to adjust the recipe to make it small enough to just make one). Then after it browns on one side, flip it over and brown it on the other before adding toppings. Mom suggests using parchment paper underneath for easy flipping.

    I promise it will come out much more pizza like if its thin enough and the cheese is just stirred in! I also tried it without the italian seasoning and I actually like that better, but thats just totally your own preference. I'll send you a pic of mine to ur email since I dont think I can upload one on here...

    ReplyDelete