Monday, February 4, 2013

Going hardcore

So we’ve been doing a pretty good job about half of the time.  Part of the problem is that we are still using up a lot of the stuff in our cabinets.  Another part of the problem is that we needed more motivation.  Lucky for us lent is coming up and we need to give something up for 40 days.  Here’s the catch… we will be in Mexico for my birthday/spring break the last week of lent.  I’m pretty sure it will be impossible for us to stick with unprocessed at the resort so we decided to start lent early. 

Starting TOMORROW we will be going completely unprocessed 6 days a week.  For my non catholic friends… Sunday’s don’t count during lent because Sunday’s are supposed to be a day of celebration.  In order to get ready for this I went through the cabinets yesterday and piled up everything that was processed.

 

After it was all said and done, there was not much left in our cabinets.

And yes... those are Girl Scout cookies on the shelf.  You can't make me get rid of those... I'll save them for Sundays.
 
I texted my neighbor and told her to come grocery shopping at our house.  Tom will also take some of this stuff to the fire station.   The only thing Tom was not willing to part with was Cheddar jalapeno Cheetos that he assures me he will finish before Tuesday.

 

So since there is no food left in our house we finally made the trek to Whole Foods.  We had avoided Whole Foods for the past few weeks for a few reasons:

1.       It’s in Harbor East.  Parking is a pain in the butt.  The store is small and crowded because it’s in the city.  Not ideal shopping conditions when you have to read labels on everything you pick up!

2.       I had kind of built Whole Foods up in my brain as this magical place that would have everything I wanted to make going unprocessed easier… I was afraid it would let me down.

BUT… Whole Foods did not let me down.  They had everything we had been looking for… unprocessed mayo and ranch dressing was probably the most exciting (because making your own mayo is almost impossible to get right the first time… and I needed the ranch so that I could have unprocessed buffalo chicken dip).  They also had unprocessed bread flour!!!!  You mean all of our bread doesn’t have to feel like a brick???  Nope.  Now we can hopefully make something a little tastier then whole wheat bread.

Hopefully this 40 day kick will be enough to get us started on embracing an unprocessed diet and force us to find healthier substitute for some of our favorites (like pizza and Chinese food).

Stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. wow- now i really feel lame. you gave away all that stuff. so impressed!!! ~joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Whole Foods so much! I moved to the apartment I live in now since it was 1 block away from Whole Foods lol. Have you guys felt any different after eating this way so far or lost any weight? This is pretty much how I always eat now so let me know if you have anything you haven't figured out how to make unprocessed-style! If you have a food processor, I have an AMAZING recipe for totally unprocessed/gluten-free/fat-free super low calorie but high protein and high fiber pizza! The crust is made out of just cauliflower, egg whites, and fat free cheese (Whole Foods has a really tasty brand that makes this), and some spices/herbs, and somehow it magically turns into a cheesy chewy crusty pizza crust that tastes just like the normal stuff to me. And if you get a julienne peeler off amazon for $15 you can make noodles out of zucchini and summer squash to sub for wheat noodles but are wayyy better than spaghetti squash. They are thick and soft and just like the regular stuff, especially in italian and thai dishes! And of course are much healthier and much less cals. Sorry for the ambush of my diet recipes, I just love that you guys are doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try making the pizza crust... thanks Laurel


    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, let me know how it turns out if you make it! Here's the recipe:

    1 head of cauliflower
    1/3 cup egg whites
    2 cups shredded fat free cheese
    2 tbsp reduced fat parmesan (optional)
    1 tbsp dried italian seasoning

    1. Cut the cauliflower off the stalk and into smaller pieces.
    2. Place everything in a food processor and process until really fine. (if you don't have a food processor, grate the cauliflower on a grater and mix with the rest of the ingredients- doesn't make it as fine of a texture but still works pretty well).
    3. Spray/coat a baking sheet with oil and push the cauliflower mixture onto the pan.
    4. Bake at 350 until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
    5. Top with marinara sauce and any other pizza toppings you'd like.
    6. Bake again until done.

    The whole crust is 600 cals/4g fat/48g carbs/97g protein/14g fiber
    and if cut into 8 slices, each is about: 75 cals/0.5g fat/6g carbs/2g fiber/12g pro
    compared to 1/8 of a regular pizza crust: 135 cals/2g fat/24g carbs/1g fiber/4g pro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try this. Putting it on the meal planner for next week. YUMMMM

      Delete
    2. So we tried it... i'm gonna blog about it this weekend. The flavor was delicious... but we definitely didn't spread it thin enough on the pan. We baked it for about 40 minutes and when we ate it it was kind of like cauliflower mush. The edges were good but the middle was not crisp at all. We have another head of cauliflower so I want to try again and spread it thinner.

      Delete