Saturday, October 19, 2013

Cookies... finally!

Anyone who's been reading the blog for a while knows that I have been searching for a healthy cookie recipe.  I have gotten close but never quite found something that tastes enough like a Nestle tollhouse chocolate chip cookie (I blame the whole wheat pastry flour...).
 
Anyway, Tom had posted this recipe on my facebook page so I decided to try it:
 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flours, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon) and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients (egg whites, honey, coconut oil, and almond milk) until evenly combined. Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl until all a cookie dough batter is formed. Once well mixed; fold in the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray for 8-10 minutes.
Ingredients:
½ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
½ cup oat flour
2 tbsp coconut sugar
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup egg whites
1 tbsp coconut oil or butter (softened or lightly melted)
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp almond milk
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips

 
 
I made some substitutions because I don't really care about the gluten free part.
Whole wheat pastry flour, oats instead of oat flour, stevia instead of coconut sugar
 
And yes, I know, this recipe is not unprocessed.  I decided to let the baking soda and baking flour slide because I have not been successful with cookies actually looking like cookies without it. 
 
 

 

 
They turned out to be delicious.  This recipe is a winner.  I might add a little more oats next time.  I also love that the way the recipe is written, it only makes 12 cookies so you don't end up with a million cookies to eat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment