Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekend Prepping

Oh man.  It has been a loooong time since I've prepped my meals for the week.  Don't get me wrong, I fill out a meal plan every week (I'm not an animal after all) and I grocery shop for the ingredients, but I rarely prep the meals at the beginning of the week.  This week Sunday was pretty empty so I figured I'd give it a try.
 
 
I started the day by making egg muffins.
 
I put torn up pieces of bred in the bottom of the muffin pan, then chopped red peppers, then poured egg mixed with milk over top.  I topped it off with cheese and bakes at 350 for 25 minutes.

 
They were pretty good, but next time I will probably smoosh the bread into the pan a little bit.  The pieces kind of floated around in the muffin a lot once the egg was poured in.  I was hoping they'd be a nice base on the bottom.  Oh well, still good and worked out really well this morning for breakfast on the go.

Next up was stuffed peppers and tomatoes.  I mixed together a recipe I had tried before with one from pinterest and ended up doing this:

Empty out two tomatoes and two peppers.
Cook 1 lb ground turkey.
Mix with oregano, garlic powder, and the inside of the tomatoes.
Spoon back into the peppers and tomatoes.
Top with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake at 350 for 20 min.
 
 

 
 
I labeled everything that was done and went into the fridge so my husband would know when he could eat it and when I would get mad at him for eating it.... the stuffed peppers and tomatoes were just because and can be eaten anytime this week.  I have one of each packed for my lunch tomorrow.
 
 
Next was sesame chicken.  I've blogged this recipe before and it was delicious.
 
Since I've never used the cornstarch before, its always been kind of thin and not exactly Chinese food like.  This time I used arrow root instead of cornstarch.
 
 

 
OMG look at this!  It turned out amazing.  I can't believe how much thicker it was then the last time I made it.  AWESOME.  I had some reheated with brown rice for dinner tonight.  Yumm. 
 
 
I needed roasted red peppers for this next recipe so I decided to try making my own.  All I had to do was spread out the peppers on a pan and broil them until they were charred. Then cover them and let them steam for 15 minutes or so before peeling. I think I probably should have charred them for a little bit longer because the skin was a little hard to peel... but they turned out pretty good. 
 


I used the red peppers to make this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sesame-chicken-44321

This isn't on the docket until later this week, I'll be sure to post and let you know how it is.  But the chicken is stuffed and sitting in the fridge waiting to be cooked.

 
Sooooooo all of this to say that it was AMAZING to come home today and take my dogs for a long walk because I had basically nothing to do to get ready for dinner.  After our walk, I cooked some brown rice and heated up the sesame chicken.  I may have used a little too much red pepper bc it was a little spicy for my taste, but I'm sure Tom will love it tomorrow night (he's at work tonight).

Here's the rest of the week:
Tuesday: Tom-sesame chicken, Jessi- sandwich (staying at work late)
Wednesday: Dinner at a friends house
Thursday: Crock pot buffalo chicken (did not prep this ahead of time because, well its a crock pot meal, there isn't much to prep)
Friday: Greek stuffed chicken

Will keep you posted but I'm really excited about dinners being ready to cook without making a mess of taking the 30-60 minutes to get it ready every day. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment