Saturday, October 19, 2013

Eating out, eating in, basically just eating

 
So I'm starting with the picture of the yummy pizza.  After being really proud of myself for the week before and girls night in.... the following week we decided to go for a girls night out.  We went to this place that has a great happy hour... Social Pub and Pie in Fed Hill.  Half price wine glasses and bottles ($4 a glass or $16 a bottle) and $5 8 inch pizzas.  We got BBQ chicken, White pizza with onions and blue cheese, and Margarita.  I'm sure the BBQ sauce probably had sugar in it, and the dough was made with white flour not whole wheat flour.... but never the less it was delicious, and I feel like it was a pretty good option as far as eating our goes.  I mean, it was at least homemade, even if all the ingredients were not unprocessed.  A good time was had by all. 
 
 
Saturday night we had a friends wedding to go to.  Normally at weddings I drink mixed drinks, but tonight I was determined to stick to unprocessed wine instead (I was also hoping this would minimize my hangover... the last wedding we attended involved the worst hangover of my life the next day).  Anyway, we get to our table and there is an assortment of beautiful, fall colored peanut m and m's.  I actually resisted the urge to eat them ALL NIGHT.  Wa hoo.  
 
 
When it was time for cake, I was determined to resist that too.  Tom got me a cupcake from the table, and then proceeded to shove it in his mouth when I started to take a bite of it so that I couldn't eat it.
 
 
But, alas, I did eat some.  I mean its a wedding.  It seems mean to not eat the cake.  I did leave some behind though, so that's a half win for me.
 
                  
 
 
So after our weekend of eating out, we did a lot of cooking at home during the week.  One of the things we made was from one of my favorite cookbooks called Faster I'm Starving.  All the recipes are 25 minutes and under:
 
 
Russian Chicken Sticks... mix together garlic, paprika, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and hot sauce.  Cut the chicken into strips and cover it with the yogurt mixture.  Then, dip it in bread crumbs (not unprocessed... because despite the fact that I made bread crumbs the day before, the bread I used was not quite stale enough, so we were not able to smash the bread crumbs into small enough pieces to work). 
 

 
Put it all on a baking sheet and bake at 475 for 8 minutes.

 
It turns out like this, and it is delicious!
 

I also decided to try making mashed potatoes for the first time to go with the chicken.   











I mixed the potatoes, cream cheese, butter and milk. It could have used a little less milk, but they were still very good.

Cut to this morning and my strong desire for pancakes.  However I had just scrubbed my stove the day before was didn't really want to get it dirty.

 
Obviously though, my desire for pancakes won.  I used a recipe I've used before from Eating Rules.
http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/05/healthy-pancakes-that-taste-good/
 
 
 
 
 
 
In other news, I've gotten really good at slicing bread.  It's amazing what happens after 20 or so loaves (when we first started the pieces were so thick you could barley taste whatever was on the sandwich you made because all you could taste was bread).

No comments:

Post a Comment