Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Girls Night In

Last Thursday was on the google calendar as girls night with two very lovely ladies.  I was a little nervous.  The week before, girls night had taken place at this delicious restaurant... Joe Squared.  It involved really yummy pizza and fried ravioli.  Needless to say, I'm sure there were some unprocessed ingredients in the mix.  This week we were planless until Thursday afternoon when we started texting madly to figure out what we were going to do.  I had already figured that I would go home from work, eat something, and then meet them out so that I was hopefully not tempted to eat anything (I know the October unprocessed challenge can be what you want it to be.... and eating out once would not be the end of the world... but I was really trying to stick to it, especially in the first week).
 
 
Anyway.... in the midst of the text messaging... I suggested my house.  Both ladies were on board.  It's now 2 pm and I have about 4 hours to finish work, get to the grocery store, and figure out what to cook.  Yikes!  Luckily I had just received an email a few days before with a recipe for 4 ingredient Thai Curry Chicken from this blog I follow, girls gone strong:
 
 
I couldn't find the green curry paste in the store but I bought red curry paste instead.  Another issue was the coconut milk.  I don't have a whole foods or trader joes terribly close to me (there is a whole foods near my school but I wanted to get home).  I couldn't find coconut milk at Giant without sodium metabisulphite in it.... the one I bought at least advertised that it only contained 0.003% of it.  I felt like that was better than nothing (and at this point it was 5:20 and I told them I'd be home by 5:30).
 
 
Luckily I have several dip recipes that are my go to's for whenever people come over.  This one was on deck for the evening:
  Olive garden spinach and artichoke dip!
 
Side note: For those of you reading this from Unprocessed October.... I saw that there was some discussion the other day about cream cheese.  What kind of cream cheese are you buying?  Most Xanthium gum is a deliberate exception of mine so cream cheese passes the kitchen test for me. 
 
Moving on.... spinach dip was easy to get ready.  Once that was in the oven I started on the main dish... Thai Curry Chicken.
 
Ingredients:
1 pound of chicken, thawed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons green curry paste
1 bag of spinach fresh spinach
1/2 can unsweetened organic coconut milk (full fat)

Directions:
In a big pan, cook your chicken on medium heat preferably using coconut oil (which is a kitchen staple, so not counted as an ingredient). While your meat is cooking, saute your spinach in another pan. Add a few dashes of salt to it.
Once your chicken is mostly cooked through, add the coconut milk and the green curry paste. Mix and let simmer on low for 5-10 minutes. If you prefer it soupier, use more coconut milk.
Add the spinach to the pan of chicken. Add a few liberal dashes of sea salt or salt sub. Season to taste. I prefer it on the saltier side, so mine ends up with several liberal dashes of salt substitute, and a pinch or two of sea salt.

 
 
 
I made brown rice and served it over that.  It was DELICIOUS.  I still have half a can of coconut milk to use up so I'm going to make it again this week. 

 
Of course the night also involved wine... 


 
And dark chocolate and almonds for dessert.
 
 
Very delicious.  Good company.  And cheaper than if we had gone out.  I'm calling it a success. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment